"What do you want to be?" "Happy," she says with a smile. - Colleen Hoover

Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Pretend You're Mine by Lucy Score

Have you watched The Notebook? What about Titanic? An Affair to Remember? Or wait, what about Funny Girl? Well oh my man I love him so and oh man did I love Pretend You're Mine.

What do all of the previously stated movies have in common? Okay yes, attractive leading men. Yes I have seen Ryan Gosling in Crazy Stupid Love and yes his body was practically photoshopped. I digress. What's the one thing they have in common? They make you feel everything.

And this book?

It. Made. Me. Feel. Ev-er-y-thing.

I knew that I would enjoy this read because I love everything Lucy Score writes. She could literally give me her grocery list full of taco supplies and I'd probably be hit with a wave of emotions for my love of cheese.

However, I was not prepared to have this book completely wreck me. I'm a book blogger and I've been reading for as long as I can remember. I've read so many books that I've lost count. I've laughed, cried, gotten angry, felt like a warrior and wanted to kick some ass because of it. I've read books that put me right into the story and I have felt deeply connected to characters. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. And Pretend You're Mine put me right there. I felt my heart breaking in certain parts and I felt my heart healing in others. I don't want to give anything away but there is one specific part where a character sends a text with one word.

That's it.

One word.

That one word had me sobbing. I felt like I was the one receiving that text message and my heart soared.

If you go to Goodreads you'll see this,

"Luke Garrison is a hometown hero, a member of the National Guard ready to deploy again. Strong, sexy, broody, the last thing he’s looking for is a woman to ruin his solitude. When the wildly beautiful Harper stumbles into his life, though, he realizes that she's the perfect decoy. A fake girlfriend to keep his family off his back until he's deployed."

I too read that before I started reading Pretend You're Mine and I thought oh okay it's going to be like a fake relationship turned real and it'll be full of sexy scenes and knowing Lucy, probably some laughs. Well I did laugh, and holy crap were there some sexy scenes. The secondary characters were so wonderful that I wish they were real so I could be friends with them. I laughed and swooned so much that I reread certain parts.

But this book was everything and more.

Everything that I've been missing in books.
More than I ever could've asked for.

Luke is so complex and damaged but really so is Harper. Even with that they don't behave like it. Luke shuts off his emotions while Harper is so glass half full you can't help but become more positive while reading. Their love story in my opinion is one of the greats. Their love story should be put onto film not just so we can all fangirl because they're on the big screen, but because their story makes you believe. It makes you believe in love, and it makes you believe in yourself. Not often can a book deeply impact your life and to say that Pretend You're Mine just deeply impacted mine; well, that would be a massive understatement. This book consumed me and I'm not sure I have ever felt the way I did while reading this.

I said earlier that I love everything Lucy Score writes and I knew I would the second I fell in love with Rock Bottom Girl. But now? I am hopelessly in love with the stories that she has created for us. I am desperately in love with the characters that she has given us. And I am irrevocably in love with Pretend You're Mine. 

Buy Pretend You're Mine on Amazon by clicking HERE

Check out my other reviews of Lucy's Books below!

Mr. Fixer Upper
The Worst Best Man
Rock Bottom Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment