"What do you want to be?" "Happy," she says with a smile. - Colleen Hoover

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Kelley York Interview

Recently I reviewed the book Modern Monsters by this lady on the left and I really enjoyed it - in case you couldn't tell by my review.
As soon as I posted my review Kelley tweeted about it and made my day so of course I had to push my luck and try for an interview.
Well luck is with me because she's awesome and agreed to answer my questions.
Before we start the interview I want to thank you Kelley so much for taking the time to do this with me. It means so much and I'm so beyond excited. :)


Enjoy!!



1. What is your favorite thing about being an author?
Well...writing! But it's definitely a love-hate relationship. I also love getting letters from fans telling me that something I wrote had an impact on them. Whether they loved it or hated it, it's an emotional response and that feels pretty awesome to be capable of having that effect on people.

2. If you could co-write a book who would you want to write with and what genre would the book be?
I'm actually working on my first collaboration as we speak! It's with Nyrae Dawn, who is one of my oldest author friends and a brilliant writer. As for the genre, definitely NA, which this book will be.

3. Out of all the books you've written do you have a favorite?
I feel like this is asking me who my favorite child is...but if I have to be honest, SUICIDE WATCH remains the closest to my heart. However there's another book I'm working on right now that may surpass it.

4. I've never read a book like Modern Monsters, what made you want to write this story?
I've read a number of YA and NA books about rape, all of them really good. But I hadn't yet seen one from the perspective of the suspect, especially when that person was innocent. I wanted to show how rape effects not just the person who was raped, but everyone around them. The way families and friends feel, the guilt they harbor...and from the perspective of someone wrongfully accused. Rape is a problem in many countries, including the US, but false rape accusations are also unsettlingly common.

5. I really enjoyed all of the characters but Autumn was probably my favorite, who was your favorite character to write?
I'm right there with you: Autumn. I wanted a girl who was tough but feminine, someone who takes care of her loved ones. She's a little wise beyond her years, but she isn't perfect. The scene where she and Vic meet is easily one of my favorites in the book.

6. I don't want to give spoilers but did you always know who raped Callie or did you decide while writing?
Sometimes characters surprise me with twists as I'm writing...but in the case of MODERN MONSTERS, I had the ending planned out from page one. 

7. Do you think that you'll ever do a sequel to Modern Monsters?
I feel Victor's story wraps up well and there isn't anything worthwhile to get out of him for a sequel. If I were to continue for any of them, it might be to tell more of Callie's story, because the process of her healing will be an important journey in her life.

8. Do you relate to any of the characters in your books?
I mentioned earlier how SUICIDE WATCH is closest to my heart, and that's because Vince is a character that carries a lot of me in him, in the sense that I've struggled with anxiety and depression all my life. Writing him was remarkably therapeutic.

9. What can we look forward to reading from you next?
There are several things in the works, it's just a matter of what gets finished first. I have the previously mentioned collab with Nyrae Dawn, another book I'm working on for Entangled, and two other stories in addition to that. I'm also working on a short-story for an anthology. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to announce the title or anything for it yet, but all proceeds for the anthology will be going to charity, so I'm really excited for it.

10. If Modern Monsters had a theme song what would it be?
This is very tricky. MM is the only book I've written where I've had a hard time picking out a good, solid play-list... I will say one of my favorite Vic and Autumn songs is "Dark Blue" by Jack's Mannequin.

Follow Kelley York on Social Media
Facebook
Twitter
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment