"What do you want to be?" "Happy," she says with a smile. - Colleen Hoover

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Ella Maise Interview

I posted up my review for To Love Jason Thorn yesterday so you all know by now how much I loved it.
I decided to reach out and contact Ella Maise who is the author and she was nice enough to write me back.
I've been lucky enough to talk to her for a couple of weeks now and she's wonderful. I've been lucky enough to talk to and interview some great authors but I have to say she's one of the nicest.
Thank you so much Ella for taking the time to answer my questions!!


1. How long have you been writing?
Hmmm... I think I've been writing for a little over a year now. My first book came out on December 2014 and I'd started writing a few months before that.

2. What's the best part of being an author?
For me, the best part is hearing from readers, bloggers and occasionally other authors who have read my book. That was actually something I'd told my friend (only one of my friends knew I was writing a novel, I didn't tell anyone until after I published) before I even published my first novel. I just wanted to interact with readers and gush over fictional characters or hopefully the ones I'd created.
Also, I have to mention that I love the writing part, too. I always have a smile on my face when I'm writing a scene I'm %100 happy about. It's a weird feeling. Weird, but good. Simply put, it makes my heart happy and I can't tell you what a great feeling that is; to do something you absolutely love, and call it your work.

3. It seems like being a book nerd is kind of the thing to be now and book blogging is like being prom queen. What are your thoughts on book bloggers?
First of all book nerds rock! Their excitement over a book they loved is contagious. Also I think you're very right at what you said about book bloggers. They have become a very important part of the book world. Most of us wouldn't be where we are right now without them. I used to follow certain blogs before I actually became an author and as a reader when you find a blogger who loves the same books as you, magic happens :) Seriously though, I love the book blogger world, I'm always so giddy when a blogger sends me a message through Facebook, saying how much they enjoyed reading my book. It hits the right spot in my heart every single time. And considering how many amazing books they read every week, it means the world when they pick up your book and read it. So, Kayleigh, if I haven't thanked you already, THANK YOU so much for that smile you put on my face when you first contacted me.

4. What made you want to write To Love Jason Thorn in dual POV? Was it difficult writing from a man's perspective?
What made me write it in dual POV... To be honest, I can't picture Jason and Olive's story any other way. My first book 'I'm Your's' was not a dual POV book and I found it limited the story I wanted to tell. With dual POV stories you get to hear the story from both sides, and I think it makes for a more satisfying read. Was it difficult to write? Not as much as I thought it would be. That first chapter where I jump from the heroine to the hero is a bit difficult, but when or if the story flows the way I want it to flow, I get over that pretty quickly.

5. How do you come up with names for your characters?
Oh the names... I'm actually very picky about this. I check out those baby names websites, but I rarely find anything I absolutely love lol Or when I randomly come across a name I like, I write it down somewhere, just in case I can use it one day. Sometimes it can take days to find the right ones because I can't start writing if I'm not happy with the names. If it doesn't feel right, it's not happening. It has to suit my character's personality. Like Olive... I think the name is perfect for her. It's quirkly, unique, fun, cute. So...I guess when it clicks it clicks. But, yeah, if the name doesn't click with the character, I can't move forward. Weird, right? I know...

6. Do you ever base your characters on people?
So far I haven't done that. I do add small things from people I know or met I guess, but not a full-on character. Sometimes I add bits and pieces of myself in there too.

7. I have to say that Jason sounded delicious. Not only was he super sweet he was a talented actor. Which actor would you want to marry?
This is a tough question. Have I mentioned that I'm weird? lol There are certain periods of my life where I fall in love with an actor, like full on heart racing love when I see them on screen, but then suddenly it all goes away :) Right now I'm crushing on Henry Cavill and Idris Elba (to be fair, I'm always crushing on Idris Elba). Before that I was crushing hard on Ian Somerhalder, before that Josh Duhamel. So if I'm gonna get to keep him forever, I'd want to marry Henry Cavill. If you can make that happen, I'd be forever grateful :)

8. If To Love Jason Thorn was being turned into a movie who would you want to play your characters?
That I can't answer because I have no idea. No one seems good enough, I guess :)

9. Who did you have the most fun writing?
Olive and Lucy! Especially when they were together! I seriously love their energy.

10. If To Love Jason Thorn had a theme song, what would it be?
Definitely, Marvin Gaye by Charlie Puth. Everytime I hear that song, I'm in that bar with Lucy and Olive. Of course, Jason is also there "keeping an eye" on them.


Follow Ella on Social Media:
Goodreads
Website
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

I wanted to start including a song with interviews and this one is from a great scene in To Love Jason Thorn. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment