"What do you want to be?" "Happy," she says with a smile. - Colleen Hoover

Thursday, April 11, 2019

Nicole French Interview


Before I start the interview I have to thank Nicole SO much for answering my questions. When I read books like hers and get so wrapped up it's hard for me to believe that the author will be interested in talking to me. So when they not only agree but they are as nice as Nicole French is it really makes me love their books even more. Thank you again Nicole <3

Enjoy!!

1. Did you know from day one that this would be a trilogy?

I did. I love series, so when I set out to write this story, I knew it would be long. I like to live with characters for a long time, multiple books, so I wanted to deliver that to readers as well.

2. Which book was your favorite to write?

I really enjoyed writing the second book in the series, Legally Mine. It was my second novel, so the process was a little faster, and I just enjoyed taking them to France. That was fun. But I think the book that was the most enjoyable to write out of all my books was True North. That story came very quickly, and it was also very cathartic because of how close those characters were to me.

3. I'm overly attached to these characters - thank you for that. Which characters in this series are you the most attached to?

Thank you so much! Obviously, I love Skylar and Brandon because they are my first pair. But I also love Eric and Jane, who sort of popped out in the second and third books with their own story in the background. Their personalities and chemistry were so much stronger than your average secondary characters, so it was pretty much inevitable that they would get their own book.

4. Brandon has been through so much in his life, was it hard to write those scenes?

It was, and it wasn't. I really enjoy writing characters with rich interior lives, and that inevitably means some heartache. But that's what makes the good stuff feel good, you know? So, sure, I definitely cried while I wrote because you feel the pain right along with your characters. But there is catharsis in that too, and I think that's what good stories do anyway.

5. Skylar is strong willed, kind, beautiful and pretty badass. What traits would you say are the most like you?

Well, I don't look anything like Skylar, but we have a lot in common. I speak French like she does, I attended NYU (and nearly became a lawyer myself), and I am also a trained pianist. I also share her penchant for old jeans. I'm pretty stubborn too, but I've never slapped someone for giving me a present. I put a little of myself into all my characters, but she certainly takes more than her fair share.

6. Skylar and Brandon are both lawyers, if you were to go to law school what would you want to practice?

I actually did consider a career in law at multiple points of my life and seriously considered going into family law, specifically women's advocacy. So, similar to the work Skylar ends up doing at the Family Law Clinic, especially the cases where she helps victims of domestic violence. I'm pretty passionate about that issue.

7. The more I read the more I wanted to read, seriously I couldn't get enough! What was the last series you could NOT put down?

That's a great question! I really enjoyed L.M. Halloran's Art of Sin and Sin of Love duet. Her writing is sharp and addictive. This isn't a series, but I thought Ella James' last release, Covet, was also very beautifully written. Really lush. And this is an old one, but Giana Darling's Evolution of Sin was also lovely.

8. I'm in love with Brandon, there, I said it. He's wonderful. Definitely a new book boyfriend for sure. Who are your book boyfriends?

Hmm, that's a hard one. I'm a big fan of Miller Hart, from Jodi Ellen Malpas's One Night trilogy. I'll pretty much read anything she writes. It's a weird thing to say, but I also just like my own books. I write them and then find myself reading them a year later, often having forgotten those small details. It's fun to watch the characters fall in love again. So, Brandon, Nico from Bad Idea, Will from Discreet, and now Eric from The Hate Vow. All my forever boyfriends.

9. If someone wanted to start this series what would you say to them before they dig in?

I'd say, be prepared to get sucked in.

10. If the Spitfire series had a theme song, what would it be?

Well, it's got to be a Springsteen song, obviously. Probably Tougher than the Rest. After all. isn't that what the series is about? How they both have to gut it through a whole bunch of trials to last together? Eve the problems they bring to the table themselves?


Follow Nicole French on Social Media:
Website
Facebook
Instagram
Twitter
Pinterest

2 comments:

  1. Those where the perfect questions!! Nicole French is one of the top ten author's of the year in my book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think she's pretty fantastic too!! :)

      Delete