"What do you want to be?" "Happy," she says with a smile. - Colleen Hoover

Thursday, March 2, 2017

Dangerous Lies by Becca Fitzpatrick

We all have trouble buying books, am I right? I know that when I enter a book store I get overwhelmed with the delicious smell of books and delirious with the adventures that are just sitting there waiting for me. So I've come up with a reward system. Whenever I finish 3 books I'm allowed to buy a new one. Now some of you may think that this is still unfair because some of you negative Nancy's probably think I have unread books already on my shelf.
You know what I have to say to you? You're right but still I like my new system. This is a safe place here. No judgement. ;)
Anyway I had finished my 3 books so I went into a bookstore a few weeks ago and as I began searching for my next read I found this beauty. Yeah I'm not going to lie to you guys, I was attracted to the cover. Look at it!! It's stunning. You can't tell because this is a computer so you can't touch it BUT the raindrops actually stick out. Guys, they stick out!! How cool?!
After I finished admiring the cover I read the back and had to buy it. Like right then.
I have no idea why but once I got it home I wasn't interested in reading it any more. Book buyer problems.
The other day I saw it and that beautiful moment happened. You know what I'm talking about. That moment when you see a book and you have to read it. You need to know what's going to happen and see where the story is going to take you. So I picked it up and once I did...well...I couldn't put it down.
I am confident in saying - remember it's only February - that this book is one of my favorites of the year.
Yeah, I loved it that much.
The gist is that our main character witnessed something pretty horrific and she's been placed into the Witness Protection Program. Her name is now Stella and she lives in Thunder Basin, Nebraska. She's been taken from her boyfriend, a drug addict mother, and everything she's ever known. Her life in Thunder Basin is completely different from her life before which I guess is the point but it makes her pretty miserable. Life pretty much sucks for her until she meets the oh so attractive neighbor Chet who is now one of my favorite book boyfriends.
Stella's new "foster mom" and her don't get along at first because she is anti-"the man" and wants her new "mother" to know that she's not happy to be there.
I read a review on goodreads where the reviewer just tore into Stella and what a terrible character she is but I think they're wrong. Her whole world is taken from her, of course she's not exactly the sweetest for some of the book. Once she starts her new job as a car hop and spends more time with Chet she becomes someone I actually really liked.
Dangerous Lies was exactly what I was looking for. The tension between Chet and Stella was amazing and I loved watching their relationship form. I also really loved some of the supporting characters. Becca Fitzpatrick did an excellent job making us fall in love with -almost- every character. I say almost because the bad guys really were bad. The twists and turns in this book kept me on my toes and I was actually really upset when the book was over.
I definitely recommend this book to everyone!!

Buy Dangerous Lies Here:
Barnes & Noble
Kobo
Amazon

Listen to my playlist for Dangerous Lies on Spotify by clicking HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment