"What do you want to be?" "Happy," she says with a smile. - Colleen Hoover

Saturday, January 7, 2017

Mostly Human by D.I. Jolly

Normally I don't post anything on the weekend but this is a special occasion. A couple months back I was approached by the author of this book and he asked if I would be interested in reading his book for an honest review. I love receiving books but there's something really cool about actually talking to the author. In talking to them you start to feel like you're friends and that's a lot of fun. 
Anyway when I read about this book all I had to see was that it was about a werewolf rockstar and I was in.
Now the reason this post is special is because not only am I sharing with you a review but mostly because it's D.I. Jolly's birthday!! So as The Beatles once said, "They say it's your birthday" and today I'm saying happy happy birthday to you. Thank you for reaching out to me and for being so kind. I hope you've had a fantastic birthday. :)
Alright so lets get on with the review shall we?
To start off I feel like I have to be totally honest and say that I probably wouldn't have picked this book up if I had seen the cover first. To me it looks like a middle grade book that's directed towards boys. I know that probably sounds silly because books are for both genders but that's just what I think.
The other thing that isn't my favorite is that it's told in third person point of you. If you're new to my blog then you don't already know that I really dislike third person point of view. I also am not a big fan of a lot of characters, especially in third POV.
The book starts off in present day and then goes back to when our main character, Alex, is bitten. I liked that we got to go back and see how it all happened. I also really liked Alex. When he finds the wolf that bites him I got a little sad and felt the same things that he did. (I don't really want to give you more information than that otherwise I'll give things away.) What I didn't like is that there were so many characters, as I mentioned before, that it was hard to keep track of who belonged with who. For a while I kept getting Alex confused with his dad and that was somewhat frustrating.
I will say that this book was unpredictable which was really cool. When I went into it I didn't think I'd be so interested to see the outcome. I also have to say that I haven't read a good werewolf book in a while so that added to my happiness.
All in all if you're looking for a book that's different from any "werewolf book" you've ever read then I think you should give this one a shot.
And again happy birthday D.I. Jolly, thank you for your words.

Buy Mostly Human here:
Amazon

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, D. I.! It's been a while since I've read a werewolf book, s I'll have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete